Telephone 01803 866704

Building Regulations Part L - U-Values & CE Markings

Building Regulations Part L - U-Values & CE Markings

From the 1 October 2010, Part L of the building regulations for England and Wales for the conservations of Fuel and Power changed. From this date all new and replacement windows and door installations need to comply with the regulations. To read more about these regulations visit the online version on or use the links to view –Approved Document L1A (new dwellings) and Approved Document L1B (existing dwellings)

If an item requires a U-value then it also needs a CE mark.

CE marking is a key indicator of a product’s compliance with EU (European Union) legislation, CE marking confirms that a product satisfies the legislative requirements by the manufacturer.
The CE mark is specified by the EU but refers to the relevant country’s regulations. Within the UK this enforces compliance with Building Regulations (Part L), which is applicable for all external windows and doors covered by the legislation. Within the UK the legislation is enforced by Trading Standards, NOT building Regulations.

Obtaining the correct U-value; U-values which relate to building regulations – Part L stipulates (since October 2010) that external windows need to have a u-value of 1.6 for a renovation project (or 2 in a new build) and external doors require a u-value of 1.8. This is an overall u-value of the window or door, which is based on the following; type of timber, centre pane u-value and the Psi value of the spacer bars. NOT just the u-value of the glass.

If a u-value is not required due to conservation exclusion then CE marking will not be required either. Most ‘Bespoke’ windows WILL require a u-value as they are not truly bespoke. (Truly bespoke windows will be exempt from requiring u-value and therefore CE marking.)

Our u-values are calculated using Joinerysoft software which has been verified by UK notified body British Standards Institute (bsi)