Telephone 01803 866704

Building Regulations Part Q - Unauthorised Access

 From October 2015, Part Q of the building regulations for England and Wales for unaurthorised access changed. From this date all new windows and door installations need to comply with the regulations. To read more about these regulations visit the online version on or use the link to view - Approved Documnet Q1

Approved document Q of the Building Regulations 2010 was published in March 2015 and will take effect from 1st October 2015. It does not apply to work started before 1st October 2015, or to work subject to a building notice, full plans application or initial notice submitted before that date provided the work is started on site before 1st October 2016.

By 1st October 2016 all accessible doors and windows supplied to new build properties will have to be proven to be secure by testing to PAS 24:2012 or other means.

Approved Document Q gives compliance with the Building Regulations for building work carried out in England. It applies to dwellings that are new or formed by a material change of use.

Approved Document Q applies to 'easily accessible' doors and windows that provide access into the dwelling from outside, access into parts of the building containing flats from outside (i.e. communal entrance doors), or access into a flat from common parts of the building (i.e. flat entrance doors).

Easily accessible doors are those that are within 2 metres vertically of an accessible level surface. Easily accessible windows are those that are within 2 metres vertically of a flat or slopping roof (up to 30 degrees) within 3.4 metres of ground level.

Secure doorsets and window tested to PAS 24:2012 will meet the requirements. Any doorset that is partof a Secured by Design approved third party accreditation scheme to PAS 24 or STS202 BR2 will also meet the requirements.

Main doors for dwellings should have means of seeing callers such as clear glass, a door viewer or a window next to the door. The door should be fitted with a door chain or door limiter.